How about that new Godzilla trailer, huh? Well, that’s not the only one to be released recently, just the “drop everything and repost this” one. Here’s a roundup of other happenings in the field of Japanese SF-ish cinema, etc.
- A new website is up teasing Heisei Kamen Rider vs. Showa Kamen Rider: Kamen Rider Wars (featuring Super Sentai). I guess they figure there are 15 of each (if you count Shin, ZO, and J as Showa-era, Black and Black RX as separate characters, Riderman as his own protagonist, and don’t consider Kamen Rider G), so why not do a movie war? I’ve gotta level here: expectations are pretty low for this thing. So… whatever happened to that Kikaider project that was teased as the end of Super Hero Wars Z?
- A trailer is out for Edge of Tomorrow, the Hollywood remake of Hiroshi Sakurazaka’s novel All You Need is Kill. Among the immediate foul-cries of Hollywood whitewashing for the casting of Tom Cruise in the lead role, might I also just point out how ridiculous it is for a man in his 50’s to be playing a fresh-out-of-bootcamp recruit?
(By the way, Hikaru no Go/Death Note/Bakuman artist Takeshi Obata has a manga adaptation of the novel starting in Young Jump starting January 9th. [via ann])
- We got a new trailer for Takashi Shimizu’s adaptation of Kiki’s Delivery Service.
- Also, a trailer for the second of the trilogy of movies based on Osamu Tezuka’s Buddha.
- New pictures have been posted for Keiichi Sato’s Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary movie. The designs are… wow, I’m slightly reminded of Final Fantasy, but they still actually work. [more at crunchyroll]
- Charge on Themis: Titan Soldiers is an upcoming Japanese erotic movie that can liberally lift from Attack on Titan under parody law. (I think.) It hits Japanese DVD/download on January 10. [via kotaku]
- Despite heavy marketing, the new Hollywood movie 47 Ronin tanked in Japan. I imagine the most likely cause is the fact that almost everything about it is offensive to the Japanese people. [via crunchyroll]
And some non-movie news:
- Knights of Sidonia will be airing on Netflix in Summer 2014, after the Japanese season wraps but before any other US release, most likely following the Netflix formula of putting the whole season up at once.
- The sort of crappy Image kaiju comic Enormous is getting a live-action web series, or at least the pilot is coming together. Hopefully it’s more coherent than its source material.[via hollywood reporter]