Time for the regular weekly run-down of some neat videos and links pertaining to Japanese monsters and robots:
- After several years without much news from Generation Kikaida (I guess the closest association was the Hawaiian TV airing of Ultraman Leo?), there came a surprising announcement that they’ve gotten rights to this year’s new movie Kikaider Reboot, AKA Kikaider: The Ultimate Human Robot. It’ll play theatrically in Honolulu from October 10-16, continuing the trend of Kikaider being the best-represented Japanese superhero in American distribution. Hopefully a DVD release follows for those of us on the continent (how cool would it be if they managed to get the Kamen Rider Gaim crossover as well?), and it’d be great to see Generation Kikaida’s release schedule revitalized. [via The Good the Bad and Godzilla]
- In other theatrical release news, both Sion Sono’s near-future gang war film Tokyo Tribes and Takashi Miike’s vampire gangster flick Yakuza Apocalypse: The Great War of the Underworld have been picked up for North American distribution by XYZ Films. Neither of these Nikkatsu movies is out in Japan yet (whatever happened to Sushi Typhoon? I thought they handled Nikkatsu’s genre projects), so odds are they’ll probably hit here 2015 or 2016. [via blu-ray.com]
- Also, a trailer for the English dub of the sci-fi anime Patema Inverted, which hits US theaters later this month:
- A preview for the Parasyte anime. The crew here at Maser Patrol is divided on this one: it looks cool to Kevin, but Captain Casual is quite unhappy with the redesigns. Cautiously optimistic, overall.
- A short movie has appeared online as a proof-of-concept for an Usagi Yojimbo direct-to-video flick. It’s got multiple animation styles, but looks largely like stop motion. [via comics alliance]
- Another proof-of-concept, for the Japanese kaiju movie Jirai Daikaijuu Evara is also on youtube:
- A playable teaser (PT) is up on the PlayStation store for Silent Hills, the new Silent Hill game from Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro. Yeah, that’s The Walking Dead’s Norman Reedus in the trailer.
- Wow, the box art for Edge of Tomorrow is confusing. It’d be fine if the movie’s title were simple “Live, Die, Repeat”, but that’d mean yet another retitling from All You Need is Kill.
- There’s going to be a TV anime version of the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid manga, which takes play four years after Nanoha StrikerS. Maybe this will prompt a license rescue of the original series? [via ANN]
- In a somewhat out-of-left-field move, Sentai Filmworks has picked up the license for the 2007 Reideen. While the show was fansubbed, it’s not really popular even amongst mecha fans, so I wonder what the thought process was here. [via ANN]
- Neca has a better view of their remodeled 1984 Godzilla figure on their website. Not too shabby.
- The kickstarter campaign for the anime movie Under the Dog looks interesting. The animation in the sample clip is gorgeous, at least.
- A couple photos have surfaced around the web of the upcoming Kamen Rider Drive.
- As a last order of business, Legendary’s Godzilla 2 is scheduled for June 8, 2018. A far cry from when we got two movies in a single year, but such is modern filmmaking. At least the wait will be less than the near-decade since Godzilla Final Wars.