This week’s assortment of spiffy Japanese-ish SF/fantasy/horror stuff from around the web:
- The American Dead Rising movie looks better than the Japanese one:
- Hey, they snuck a trailer for the Kamen Rider Gaim Gaiden movies into this toy commercial!
- We never got Ed Godziszewski’s audio commentary on the new Blu Ray of Godzilla vs. Biollante, but scified has a cool interview that hints to some of the content.
- IDW’s Godzilla: Rulers of Earth comic will end on issue 25, barely edging out Marvel’s version as the longest-running Godzilla comic in history. The cover for issue 23 promises an original monster design, which is always exciting. Some sort of hybrid, perhaps?
- Marvel’s Attack on Titan crossover is going to be offered to Americans completely for gratis this Free Comic Book Day (May 2). Pick one up at participating shops. [via crunchyroll]
- A sequel to the South Korean giant monster movie Dragon Wars is in production, and is due to start filming in the summer. The original is one of the few movies that I really do enjoy on a so-bad-it’s-good level, so I’m intrigued if the next installment (D-War: Mystery of the Dragon) will have all of the same inexplicable character interaction and stilted acting. Of course, the first D-War was also in production for many, many years before its release, so we’ll have to wait and see just what eventually materializes here. [via dreadcentral]
- It turns out one of my friends is doing a kickstarter for NightCry on the PC. I was already intrigued by the game because of the involvement of people like Takashi Shimizu, but this campaign now has me sold on it!
- After a brief appearance in Makai no Hana, mangaka/designer Masakazu Katsura (DNA^2, Tiger & Bunny, Iria) has had another cameo in Garo, this time in the animation. How cool would it be if he eventually wrote a Garo story himself? [via crunchyroll]
- Also Garo-related, the Makai Kadou figure of Beast Garo (Light Awakening) from the end of Makai no Hana is up for pre-order (10584 yen plus web-exclusive fees, ouch!). On the plus side, it comes with a Tamashii stage, making it unlikely to topple over, unlike the last beast Garo Bandai put out. [via tokunation]
- Considering that the SIC toy line started with Kikaider characters, it’s not surprising to see them revisiting Jiro and Hakaider to mesh better with the current articulation/price-point standards. It is weird to see them get complete redesigns, though, almost like proclaiming that SIC doesn’t actually have a consistent aesthetic. Personally, I’ll just stick with the originals, at least until they do an SIC of Green Sponge or something. [via tokunation]
- The Toxic Avenger Part II is coming to Blu Ray on April 14th. Relevant to this ‘blog because it was filmed in Japan, this Troma-produced gross-out superhero comedy also has a cameo by Go Nagai.
That’s it for this week. Until next time, happy stompings!