Lots of trailers this week. Other stuff…. not so much.
- People are bemoaning the existence of Sadako vs. Kayako, but I’m pretty stoked, since crossovers can be some of the best entries in a monster franchise (Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man, King Kong vs. Godzilla, Freddy vs. Jason,
Alien vs. Predator). My only concern is that while director Koji Shiraishi has a lot of horror flicks under his belt (Noroi, Carved, Grotesque, Ju Rei), none of them have been very much fun. Wonder if I should track down all of the Grudge flicks before checking this out?
- A trailer for the Ultraman X movie, which hits March 12:
- The trailer for zombie flick I Am A Hero. The original manga’s quite good, but it will never include a techno remix of the William Tell Overture.
- A teaser for Creepy, Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s upcoming horror flick, which hits in June. We’ll have to see if it lives up to the title.
- The Yugioh: Dark Side of Dimensions movie will be giving Blue Eyes White Dragon cards to the folks who preorder tickets. Ironic how the most common monster in the real card game is the rarest one in the actual series.
- Shifting gears to American stuff, here’s a trailer for Kubo and the Two Strings, a samurai stop-motion movie from Laika (ParaNorman, Coraline):
- Also, The Big Friendly Giant is getting a movie. Neat, though arguably not really a kaiju thing.
- Rocket Racoon and Groot will have a variant cover based on the Anatomical Guide to Kaiju stuff from the 60s. Funny how that feels like it’s become quite the meme in the past few years.
- Shiro Sagisu will be doing the score for Godzilla Resurgence. Josh’s response: “Oh, wow, Anno got him, you don’t say. Next you’ll be telling me that Joe Hisaishi will be doing music for a Miyazaki movie.”
- Concrete Revolutio is getting a second season. Excellent; that’s the anime that tokusatsu fans ought to be watching for this year.