There was no recap last weekend, as most of the Maser Patrol crew was out at G-Fest. Thanks to everyone who attended the manga panel, and apologies to anyone who suffered through my horrific attempts at improvisation during the other one! It was great to catch up with long-time fandom buddies, and make some new friends, so we’re already scheming up ideas for another panel next year.
I figured we probably haven’t missed too much in the last two weeks… I mean, it’s not like G-Fest, the 50th anniversary of the first episode of Ultraman, Summer Wonder Festival, San Diego Comic Con, and news about the release of a new Godzilla film could all happen within a two-week timeframe, right?
…oh. We got a lot to cover this week.
- First of all, Funimation has rights to Shin Godzilla. Yes, it’s back to that title, as Toho has asked the world to kindly forget the Godzilla Resurgence alias, to the delight of weebs and dismay of DVD alphabetizers worldwide. The film will get a limited theatrical release, which Funi’s been doing quite well with lately (for those keeping track at home, both Attack on Titan movies, the Psycho Pass flick, Harmony, and Empire of Corpses were released this way, with the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy upcoming, while The Boy & the Beast and Dragonball Z: Resurrection F got more conventional releases), and I may schedule a mini-sabbatical as soon as the actual release date is announced. And yes, Funimation does also have the rights to Crayon Shin-chan, but I’m extremely skeptical we’ll see that crossover get localized.
In other Shin Godzilla news, we got another trailer, including some controversial use of the color purple:
- Neca revealed at SDCC that they’ll be doing a Shin Godzilla figure as well. (*insert usual rhetoric about them and MonsterArts doing the exact same thing*)
- For the record, director Hideaki Anno has apologized to Evangelion fans for going off and making another movie between Rebuild installments, but explained that making Eva chips away at his soul. The merch blitz continues unabated, however, with an Eva unit painted in burning Godzilla colors, as well as Eva/Godzilla fusions coming from X-Plus.
- The RPG Phantasy Star Online 2 is having a Godzilla event August 10-September 7 (read more details here!)
- In further Godzilla news, congrats to Chris Mowry and Matt Frank for having Godzilla: Rulers of Earth published in Japan! As far as I know, this makes the fourth American G-comic available in Japanese, after Godzilla vs. Barkley, The Godzilla Color Special, and Godzilla Awakening… unless there are others I missed?
- Oh, and Funimation also finally announced a home video release for the first Attack on Titan movie: October 4!
- August Ragone is hosting an Ultraman marathon for Shout Factory next Sunday starting at 12 PST. From their Super Sentai marathons, they’ve gained a reputation for announcing new licenses during that time, but given that they’ve dismissed previous suggestions about releasing other Ultraman shows (they only want the stuff with nostalgia appeal), and that the original show is ubiquitous on DVD already, I’d suggest not worrying about that and just enjoying the episodes.
- There were some unexpected figure announcements at Wonder Fest. We saw Guyver 3 coming, but Redman?! Also, apparently Thunderbolt Fantasy toys (that was weirdly obvious in retrospect).
- The Big Guy & Rusty the Boy Robot just got released on DVD-on-demand by amazon!
- Voltron: Legendary Defender is getting another season, which it really did need considering the cliffhanger for the first.
- Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure will be airing on Toonami. This highly increases my suspicions that they’re redoing the dub.
- Legendary now has live-action Pokemon movie rights for real. Honestly it’s surprising it took this long.
- The new Cutie Honey Tears trailer still doesn’t look great, but is a step up from the previous one:
- Higanjima Deluxe has even more kaiju and vampire-fu than the last one.
- Kenji Kamiyama’s doing another Cyborg oo9 anime. I thought they learned their lesson and had given reigns back to Jun Kawagoe?
- Tiger Mask W looks…ew. Was this really how they wanted their trailer to grab a new audience?
- Another trailer for the first Rurouni Kenshin flick, in honor of Funimation bringing it stateside:
- What are the odds of Death Note: Light up the NEW world getting a theatrical release in the US like the original films did?
- Oh, and I guess we should show Skull Island, too.
Well, that’s a wrap for this week. As usual, if we missed anything, please don’t hesitate to leave a commen-
… I’m just going to pretend I didn’t see that.