Not a lot of news that we’ve seen this week, but it’s been pretty busy pulling monkey business together for the Kong count (thanks to everyone who’s been sharing those, by the way!). Here’re the topics we do have for review today:
- Gekisou Sentai Carranger is getting a DVD release from Shout Factory April 25th! This is one of my absolute favorite Super Sentai seasons, and hotly anticipated. I’m a little surprised that Shout’s now completely transitioned to having art with the suits on it, after the first couple releases obfuscated what the show was. I was expecting something like the Ohranger helmet-off shot, or a group with Radietta in it, to assure folks that this isn’t Power Rangers, but maybe they’re past that insecurity now. Anyway, this is an easy day-one purchase.
- If you’re not familiar with Kim Newman’s excellent novel series Anno Dracula, know this: it’s a century-spanning mash-up of various pop-culture characters set in a world where vampires took over the planet during the 19th century (just in case you assumed from the title that it was about a Pleurothallidinae orchid owned by a founding member of Gainax or something). Being a fun read, that franchise is already a favorite of ours, but Newman was especially onto something when he announced that the next novel, set in 1999, will be set in Japan and titled “Daikaiju“ (due out October 3rd).
When pressed for details, Newman’s given us hints that the protagonist this time out is an amalgam of characters from such series as “Hellsing, Blood, Vampire Princess Miyu, Vampire Hunter D, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Vampire Knight, Shiki, Lunar Legend, Elfen Lied, Ammo, Another, & Vampire + Rosario“, and mentioned possible references to everything from Yokai Monsters to Doomed Megalopolis to Yojimbo. Of course, the book’s still being written, but that’s quite a lot to whet the appetite.
Before all that, there’s a short story tie-in titled “Yokai Town” included in the Anno Dracula 1899 anthology out on January 24.
- Really digging the designs for Kirakira PreCure a la Mode. It starts February 5th, and as the 14th Pretty Cure season. makes me feel very, very old.
- The latest ad for Rings, now out February 3.
- The second season of Voltron: Legendary Defender hits January 20:
- Various armors and tools from Garo available in Final Fantasy XIV:
- Blood-C is getting a live-action movie. Since this is a prequel set pre-war, I wonder what the point of keeping the “C” part here, aside from distancing this from the previous live-action flick.
That’s a wrap! If there are any glaring omissions, please leave a comment; otherwise seeya next weekend for another news brief (sooner if you like reading about big apes and other Kong-related material)!