This week’s news recap is a little late, but odds are I won’t be able to post one next weekend, so that may be for the best. Plenty to discuss this time around, though!
- Toku is streaming Henge via Amazon Prime, which I believe is its first official English release. They should be adding some Ultraman shows in the coming months, according to SciFi Japan.
- Speaking of Hajime Ohata projects, Shingo Honda’s Hakaijuu manga is ending. Hopefully it gets picked up for US distribution at some point; it’s always been a winner for creepy monster designs.
- A Pacific Rim board game is coming (we’ll see how well it scales with the Heroclix?), along with Mini-mates and some other stuff.
- Zhang Ziyi joined the cast of Godzilla: King of the Monsters. I wonder if she’ll be playing a Japanese person, as she tends to do (TMNT, Princess Raccoon, Memoirs of a Geisha).
- The short Welsh giant monster spoof Congaaargh!, which will play at G-Fest, got a nice little write-up. It looks like the folks behind it want to make a feature.
- Footage is online for Godzilla the Real (the theme park ride at Universal Osaka):
- There will be a Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters presentation Wednesday at Annecy. Rampant speculation leads us to expect an actual design or trailer to leak shortly thereafter.
- An ad for the Kamen Rider Ex-Aid/Kyuranger movie:
Looks like Kamen Rider Build is the next series? Huh.
- Yoji Shinkawa did a new dust jacket for Wonder Woman Anthology. Does she have a perm?
- Infini-T Force will have its premiere at Anime Expo. Guess they want to sell this one to Americans; hopefully it winds up streaming on a good service.
- Astro Boy: Edge of Time is coming to Steam! I’m pretty meh on CCGs, but this has great designs and it’s free.
- The latest Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure trailer shows us the stands. They look about how one would expect.
- This visual for Megazone 23 XI seems pretty spot on, but it just feels wacky to hold out any hope for Megazone 23 ever becoming a TV series.
- Genocidal Organ will play in US theaters on July 12 and 13. It’s the least exciting of the Project Itoh movies, but glad that it got completed.
- Sunrise claims an American live-action Cowboy Bebop is in the works. They’ve been claiming this since 2009, so I’ll believe it when I see it.
- Apparently a skin-care clinic in Vietnam accidentally put the Resident Evil Umbrella logo on…well, everything. The mistake is so awkward that it feels like viral marketing (no pun intended), but there’s not really anything major coming up for the franchise.
That’s a wrap for this week. As always, please leave a comment if something is missing!
Naturally, less than an hour after this recap was posted, a new poster showed up on the Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters twitter. Sounds like the plan is to make this Godzilla bigger than the previous one (for the fourth film in a row), and this one is certainly evocative of the 2014 design, though it’s still fairly shadowy in the poster (remember the first reveal for Shin?). “Despair is evolving” is one heck of a great tagline, at any rate!