I’ve got some downtime now, and since the last news recap was during the middle of the week, this seems like an appropriate time to summarize.
As you maybe recall from last week, Annecy was going on, hence an addendum within a couple hours to show off the Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters title monster silhouette. That was far from the only neat animation stuff to hit around that time, however:
- The Genco booth at Annecy gave us a confirmation of the existence of and first look at Patlabor EZY. The visual is certainly evocative of the poster for the first Patlabor movie! Kazunori Ito is writing for it, but it sounds like it’s a ways off.
- Also at the Genco booth: A poster for an anime version of Pluto, Naoki Urasawa’s awesome revisionist take on the classic Astro Boy story arc. People have been clamoring for this for a while, especially with the Atom the Beginning anime coming out now.
- The show also had a new trailer for the Mazinger Z movie. Mazinger looks weird in CGI.
For the less anime-inclined, there was a little video game show called E3. Highlights that caught our eye include:
- A Shadow of the Colossus remake for PS4. If I understand, this is a full remake, unlike the PS3 version, which was just re-skinned for HD?
- Metroid: Samus Returns and Metroid Prime 4 (whose trailer was too boring to post):
- And a Dragonball game from the Guilty Gear people:
Returning to the subject of anime:
- In a move nobody anticipated, Irresponsible Captain Tylor is getting a sequel starting July 11 in the form of TV anime shorts, titled Irresponsible Galaxy☆ Tylor. The protagonists appear to be descendants of the original ones (our lead is named “Banjo”), and it may take some getting used to the modern character designs… this is almost giving a Space Dandy vibe.
- Another visual for Devilman Crybaby:
- We’ve already got teasers for Attack on Titan season 3?
On that note, let’s take it full circle and bring the topic back to kaiju:
- A full trailer for Ultraman Geed. With July 8 approaching, here’s hoping that Crunchyroll or Toku pick it up.
- Somewhat shockingly, War of the Gargantuas’ (and Godman‘s) Gaira has never had a Bandai figure...until now. This webshop figure, at 18 cm, is awkwardly sized in between the ~6 inch Movie Monsters/Godzilla Island line and the 8 inch traditional figures, but here’s hoping they keep it up with unconventional monster selections!
- Finally, official synopses confirmed what we were already expecting- Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2018) will have Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah. Hopefully they each get their due (I’ve been much more concerned about how Mothra and Ghidorah are portrayed than I ever was about Godzilla), but they seem to be in good hands.
I think that’s a wrap for this week. Sure, I could post about the new Wonder Woman manga or the Sailor Moon teddy bears that Steiff is doing or the new Honda commercial with a kaiju battle, but this seems like enough for the time being. As always, please leave a comment if there have been any egregious omissions, though!