Another two-week recap this week, and unfortunately due to travel it looks like this will be the only one this month. (Awkward timing with the new Godzilla flick coming out, I know.) I’ve been busy putting together the weekend’s panels for ACen, as well as checking out some of the recent Japanese (and related) releases:
- Lu Over the Wall is well worth seeing; even if it’s a bit predictable, Masaki Yuasa’s presentation is a hoot.
- The New Legends of Monkey is more entertaining than I was anticipating.
- Not remotely SF/horror/fantasy, but Aggrestsuko is great, too. There was even a Daimajin reference.
On to the news, though there’s not all that much.
- Nicolas Cage is going to be starring in a Sion Sono movie. As always, it’s a good excuse to bring up this picture.
- Milla Jovovich is set to star in the Hollywood Monster Hunter flick, surprising nobody.
- The next Kamen Rider looks like it’ll be called ZI-O, which will certainly get confused with ZO more than once.
- Magical Girl Ore spoofed Shin Godzilla.
- Funimation is releasing Takashi Miike’s As the Gods Will next month.
- Third Window Films is putting Osamu Tezuka’s Cleopatra and 1001 Nights on UK BD. (NSFW trailer)
- Not really genre, but of interest: Akio Jissoji’s Buddhist Trilogy is getting a US release.
That’s a wrap! Back to panel prep; hope to see some folks at the con!